Bloggers develop a considerable amount of content that is published on the internet. Consider that as of 2016, there are more than 250 million blogs online, excluding the all the blogs from Google’s Blogger platform that does not publish statistics. And each month, more than 409 million people read more than 19.7 billion blog pages posted on the WordPress blogging site. The largest portion of blogs is by companies, who realize that blogs are the most effective marketing strategy to promote their products, services, and brands. A survey of businesses indicated that 86% of business to business companies blog, while 77% of business to consumer companies blog.
The balance of the blogs on the internet are written by the hoi polloi. People who blog, generally fall into two camps: those who blog for the fun of it and those who blog to make money. Those who blog to generate income focus on three of the most profitable blogging topics:
1. Heath and Fitness: food, nutrition, weight loss, exercise, mental health, etc.
2. Relationships: parenting advice, relationship advice, dating, marriage, divorce, etc.
3. Finance: making money, managing money, investing, saving, mortgages, real estate, credit cards, etc.
Surprisingly, in a world that is inundated with statistics about every little thing, there is a paucity of research about the most common or popular blogging topics published by individuals pursuing their particular passions. Below is a list of the best or most popular blog topics based on a review of information presented by many blogging experts:
1. Articles that are lists (commonly referred to as listicles); e.g., top ten lists, A to Z lists, best of lists
2. News and political commentary
3. Food and recipes
4. How-to guides, tutorials, or advice; e.g., fashion, health, diet, self-improvement, home repair, fitness, photography, video games, computer software, smartphones, blogging, etc.
6. Interviews or profiles with experts, leaders, etc.
7. Personal stories (first person), diaries, or sharing pet stories
8. Philanthropy and volunteering
9. Product reviews; book or movie reviews
10. Video blogs (vlog); audio post (podcast); webinars
11. Short stories (fiction or nonfiction)
For further reading: https://stratabeat.com/roi-of-blogging/