When it comes to completing homework that requires diligence and creativity, high school and college students are notorious for procrastination or its extreme: complete negligence. But when it comes to offering an excuse for why the homework was late or not completed, students can be amazingly creative or use the classic, although hackneyed, excuses. Fed up with listening to lame or bizarre homework excuses year after year, many teachers have found it therapeutic to list these excuses on education-related websites. Here are some the best common homework excuses. Disclaimer: use at your own academic peril.
Most common homework excuses
1. I forgot my homework
2. My printer didn’t work or I ran out of ink
3. I didn’t know it was due today
4. I lost it
5. I was absent and missed the assignment
6. Get emotional and start crying in front of teacher
7. I cleaned out my notebook and accidentally threw it away
8. I didn’t do it
9. I had a game last night
10. My dog ate my homework
Best homework excuses
1. My backpack was stolen
2. My parents got in a huge fight last night and I couldn’t concentrate
3. I stayed at my dad’s this weekend and left it there
4. I left my binder in my mom’s car; she’s at work across town
5. I was sick and unable to do any homework
6. It’s that “time of the month”
7. My grandmother died and was too upset
8. My dog died and was too upset
9. I had to take care of my sick baby sister
10. I had too much homework from my other classes
Funny homework excuses
1. I was kidnapped by terrorists and they only just let me go, so I didn’t have time to do it.
2. I didn’t do it because I didn’t want to add to my teacher’s heavy workload.
3. A bunch of nerds stole it to make sure theirs were completely perfect.
4. My mother was so proud, she took it to have it framed.
5. It was in my back pocket and a pickpocket stole it.
6. A mad circus clown stole it on my bus stop and tried luring me into his house with it.
7. “You said do questions 1-10. You didn’t say bring them in.”
8. My brother stole it in a fit of sibling rivalry.
9. My house is being fumigated and I don’t want to go in there and suffocate just to get it.
10. I have radon poisoning.
11. My flash drive exploded.
12. My father had a nervous breakdown and he cut it up to make paper dolls.
13. I left it in a hymn book in the choir loft, having used it to mark my solo.
14. I put it in the safe, but lost the combination.
15. The lights in our house went out, and I had to burn it to get enough light to see the fuse box.
16. I couldn’t do my homework because my room is haunted.
17. My pet gator peed on it.
18. I came down with a terrible case of “having trouble holding onto a pencil.”
19. My mom (or dad) did it wrong, so I threw it out the bus window.
20. I did my homework, but when the Martians came, they sucked the ink off my paper.
Read related posts: How to Get the Most Out of College?
Too Much Homework is Bad for Students
Education is the Engine of Personal Development
What Makes a Great Teacher?
The College Admissions Mania
What Makes a Great Mentor?
What Makes a Great Teacher?
What Should you Teach Your kids Before They Leave Home?
Lifelong Learning with The Great Courses
Education or Indoctrination?
I Am What Libraries Have Made Me
For further reading: http://www.brighthubeducation.com/study-and-learning-tips/51072-10-best-homework-excuses/